Cost Effective Rigs for working out kWhrs before building a system

Martin Thygesen

Cost Effective Rigs for working out kWhrs before building a system?

Before sizing my battery requirements I was looking at how I would go about sampling my daily utilisation over time to ensure I don't "Over Build" the system.

Yes, things change and building up is one method but I'd prefer to get an accurate cost of DIY vs buying a COTS build from a supplier.

The following are 2 paths I was looking at

1) using a AeotecZ-WAVE Energy Meter Genby Aeon Labs & some Z-WAVE software to record and store the power on separate Clamps
https://aeotec.com/z-wave-home-energy-measure

Pros: can use separate clamps to measure separate circuits (up to a max of 3 clamps per unit)
Pros: Wireless connection between meter and the software/hardware controller
Pros: does no consume a DIN Rail in the Outdoor Power Cabinet
Cons: requires a Z-WAVE software and controller to read the data and store it.
Cons: Accuracy is a little less as based on EMF field strength

2) using a DIN mounted MOD-BUS / RS485 Energy Meter
https://www.ebay.com/p/45a-sdm120-m...5-kwh-kvarh-u-i-p-pf-hz/1183885657?rmvSB=true

Pros: Significantly cheaper meter cost (TCO ~$20 per circuit vs $130 for 3 circuits)
Pros: Collection of measurement per circuit metered is simplified for measurement, rather than custom creation of a Z-WAVE data sample.
Pros: MODBUS is well established tech and something HVACElectricians understand.
Pros: can measure bundled circuits on the same DIN device, as one DIN unit could do multiple A/C units or other high load units.
Cons: Still requires a MOD-BUS controller/software to interface with the DIN unit.
Cons: Requires RS485 cable from DIN unit to Controller hardware/software unit. (could investigate RS485 over Wifi module......)

I was looking at using Homeseer which can interface with both MODBUS and Z-WAVE, as a method of collecting and sampling the Measurement data over a 24 hour sample.

If you have other ideas on an effective setup please let me know in this forum as I think there are other options around.[/b]
One of the reasons I was looking at these two options is they allow me to have a continuous feedback measurement platform after I make a Solar/Battery purchase.

(yes, I probably could fool a Solar/Battery Installer into temporarily putting a portable measurement unit into my board, subject to a sale, however I don't like doing this if I go down the DIY build path.. karma)

- Martin

For whole house and if you got 3phase go with a SDM630. You only need a raspberry or any other computer and a RS485 interface... Its not expensive

When all is setup the unit will still be used. Trust me. I got 2 now and the more is incomming. 1 for each house and in/out from inverter.

I also run ZWave and meassure alot but I dont use them for actually numbers when looking it all over

MattArklan said:
why isnt just looking at the average on ur powerbill good enough?
Knowledge is power.

You need to know Peak demand andWhen peak demand happens. Then try to reduce the peak demand.

Can I get rid of loads? Upgrade to a more efficient heat pump? LED bulbs? Maybe have solar and use excess to heat water? Maybe do demand control to keep major loads from coming on at the same time?

My peak demand is about 15KW (from manual calculation)and my peak usage is 55 kwh per day (from the power bill). I don't get time of day usage on my bill.

Im planning on getting solar, but I don't know when that peak of 15KW happens. Solarwould offset air conditioning so I don't need 55 kwh of battery to get through the night. Probably only need half of that on the worst day.

Im also planning to get an electric car or two. If my wife can charge during the day, then a power wall is not needed to charge my other carat night.

But I don't know any of that "time of day" usage, because I don't have monitoring installed YET!

But I too will install it.

I still might go the teslapower wall route and supplement that with a diy power wall.

Got aSiemens pac3200 to measure power consumption. I felt a little more confident using a Siemens device for this instead of an lesser reputable brand, just my opinion, non saying the Eastron PCB630 is not a good device. Actually I considered the PCB630 for some time but could purchase the Siemens for not much more money.

Added 3 Chinese made current transformersYMDC SCT-013to increase current readingcapacity.

For an individual device (lamp, fridge, tv, whatever...)I would consider a Sonoff switch with build-in power monitoring such as this one:https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-pow.html

PCB630?

The SDM630 is actually approved to be used for billing people in atleast Sweden. As long as you buy the callibrated one. And its used in 10000s of houses here :)

If im not mistaken the Siemens is not that much more accurate in its readings (Was some time ago i checked that... so can be mistaken) And more importantly its way more expensive. So for testing your home system.... 90EUR vs 500EUR where i live.

I have 3 of them personally. 1 of them have been running since over a year now. And its dead on to my company meter :)

daromer said:
Sorry, my brains must have had some 'Fatal error division by zero' or something when I was writing this.

The experience with the Siemens metercomes from a datacenter, one of these meters was used on everyrack for power management and indirectly providing near timeforecasting for the climate control and air flow system for the rooms. Some racks where eating incredible amounts of power. We've regularlyseen numbers in excess of30kW.

PersonallyI was looking for a 3-phase meter with build inethernet or wifiinterfacing. If I didn't have the experience with the Siemens and didn't find a good deal for oneI probablywould have purchased the Eastron with a similar setup to yours.

Sounds fair :)

MattArklan said:
why isnt just looking at the average on ur powerbill good enough?

Yeah, the daily kWperHr is useless for battery calculations, I need to know the power usage curve during peak periods to understand the size requirements.

I also want to separately measure specific circuit types like AC and hot water to understand change time.

Back