Spot weld fuse wire to your packs

daromer

Quick video i made. I have been running with it for a while but decided to its time to publish the video in question

Great video, thank you! It sounds tricky to do though if you have many different cells in your pack. I noticed with soldering too that different metals work differently. If you're spot welding and you have to constantly adjust the current for the battery you're on, that would get annoying. Plus you're risking burning holes in the cell and fuse wire. On the other hand, if you have all of the same cells in your pack, you could zip through pretty fast.

Correct. It differs a slight bit but you have quite a play in terms of adjusting the current. I have had a couple of cells that i know that i had to turn up a bit and you get used to that quite fast. Most of them so far have been working on same current.

Follow up on the spotwelder!

After using it for >1000 cells Im still happy with it.

Its recommended to have 16A fuse for it and slow blow (230v Version)
Links to it can also be found in the video.

Awesome video. I bought the spot welder. Thanks for showing this. I was trying to figure out how I was going to make it work with fuses. So happy to find this.

Your welcome! Fusing works rather good i must say.

Another one to the series! In next i should perhaps tackle the nickel strips and those.

Reactions: jm1
And if you want to build your own perhaps?

Spot weld glass fuses and even onto 18650 holders!

I've been using that spot welder for a few months now, and am so far impressed with it. I've been using it mainly with nickel strips on pouch LiPos for electric scooters, so I haven't pushed it very hard, but have heard that it needs time to cool when making as many welds as something like a powerwall block. Have you found the need to let it cool down when welding a lot of cells?

Thanks for the videos; I'm beginning to build my powerwall bricks, so these answered my question as to whether I could effectively tack the fuse wires!

I have done up to at least 500 spots in row or more but havent considered to let it cool down to much. The handle was warm atleast :)

The AD and AD+ will instead have a fan instead and is better suited for long runs.

daromer said:
I have done up to at least 500 spots in row or more but havent considered to let it cool down to much. The handle was warm atleast :)

The AD and AD+ will instead have a fan instead and is better suited for long runs.

I have the AD+ (120v) and the fan doesnt even come on. I have used it till it actually slightly melted where the electrodes go into the wand. I felt around the vents on the box and didnt even feel any heat. I do 60 spotwelds at a time now and let the wand cool down for a bit.

If I use the solder pen on full blast it will actually shut the entire spot welder down, and the fan still wont run. Again I cant feel any heat coming out of the side vents. After about 10 minutes or so it will turn back on. Confusing to say the least!

Thanks for posting these videos. I have been using a spot welder to connect my 18650s with pure nickel strips. I have wanted to try out bars but I dont like the idea of soldering directly onto the cells. A spot welder for fuse connections seems like the perfect solution. Thanks again for sharing this information.

Back