BMS for littel Systems

IronSky

Which BMS would be good for small systems?. I am planning a system with 40p14s.
The Batrium is very good but unfortunately much too expensive for what I build.
The version the Owitte operates is good, but at the end are 14 times 20 but quite a lot of money. Chicken uses Balancer for about 11 the piece, which is also quite expensive.

I would be glad if someone finds a possibility which is somewhat cheaper is.

The thing of DIY Tech & Repairs with the Raspberry Solar is good but unfortunately too much brain DUCK for me.

Maybe someone knows a solution for me.

Mfg
IronSky

Well, it all comes down to what you want to achieve. If you keep an eye on your system all the time you need no BMS at all. If you don't and want a certain level of automation then you do and they don't come for free. Do you really think 14x20 = 280 EUR is expensive in relation to the money, time and effort you have already put into your system and will put into it in the future?

If even 11 EUR per cell is too much money, then how much do you want to spend?

Have a look at "Going Off Grid" channel on youtube for the bms he uses

DarkRaven said:
If even 11 EUR per cell is too much money, then how much do you want to spend?

I did not want to spend more than 100 on the BMS system.

Until now I bought:
4 Solarcells @245W
Holder for the cells
MPPT controller with 3000W
And many other things

I have spent up to now 830

it takes at least 3 years until I have this cost by electricity savings again in it.
the BMS must therefore not become too expensive :blush:

Well, if you google 14S BMS you will find some within your budget. If any of them could be recommended though...Don't know, I have my doubts.

Its most likely 14s40p and not the other way around unless you have 40 strings of 14 cells in series tied together :)

There is tons of bms systems out there but you need to think of what you want it to do firsts. Then we can give you a price or estimate. Because the price also determines what functionality you are going to get and how much its actually going to protect you.

Dont forget that the BMS is just a start. You need to have breakers, fuses, contactors or something that the BMS can controll to disconnect if it goes wrong.
Many people forget the last part. Monitoring is one, Balancing is one BUT when it fucks up... What will the system do then? It need to disconnect.

You got RecBMS and TinyBMS as 2 options.

Are you ever going to expand the system? Do you need to be able to controll temperature? If so Batrium will do it too :)

daromer said:
Its most likely 14s40p and not the other way around unless you have 40 strings of 14 cells in series tied together :)

There is tons of bms systems out there but you need to think of what you want it to do firsts. Then we can give you a price or estimate. Because the price also determines what functionality you are going to get and how much its actually going to protect you.

Dont forget that the BMS is just a start. You need to have breakers, fuses, contactors or something that the BMS can controll to disconnect if it goes wrong.
Many people forget the last part. Monitoring is one, Balancing is one BUT when it fucks up... What will the system do then? It need to disconnect.

You got RecBMS and TinyBMS as 2 options.

Are you ever going to expand the system? Do you need to be able to controll temperature? If so Batrium will do it too :)

Yes and it all adds up to a lot of $$ or $18650 in my case :cool:

Back