D.I.Y. Powerwalls - Building Tesla inspired 18650 Powerwalls.
Glubux's Powerwall - Printable Version

+- D.I.Y. Powerwalls - Building Tesla inspired 18650 Powerwalls. (http://www.diypowerwalls.com)
+-- Forum: Solar & Wind (http://www.diypowerwalls.com/f-Solar-Wind)
+--- Forum: DIY Powerwall Builds (http://www.diypowerwalls.com/f-DIY-Powerwall-Builds)
+--- Thread: Glubux's Powerwall (/t-Glubux-s-Powerwall)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Glubux's Powerwall - Glubux - 11-09-2016

A quick presentation of my project.

I already produce a part of the electricity that I need. I have 1.4 kw of solar panel on the roof, an old 24v 460AH forklift battery, a Victron MPPT 100/50 charge controler, an 24v to 12v Victron voltage lowerer, and a 3KVA Vitron inverter.

The plan is to build a shed to put all the batteries and the charge controler/inverters.

I started to collect laptop batteries a few months ago, I have around 650 for now, I started sorting and making my packs:
[attachment=50]
[attachment=49]
[attachment=48]

Ideas are :

-100 Ah for each pack by matching the number of cells, possibilty to add or remove cells if needed
-maximum use of copper wire, easy to find and easy to solder
-same bus bar lenght for each cell

Re: Glubux's Powerwall - Glubux - 11-09-2016

This is how I test my cells for now :
[attachment=51]

Re: Glubux's Powerwall - Sean - 11-09-2016

Your neatness is to be applauded.

Have you tried testing the same cell in each of your dischargers and comparing the results ?

Sean Wrote:Your neatness is to be applauded.

Have you tried testing the same cell in each of your dischargers and comparing the results ?

Thank you.

I tested it indirectly by testing a freshly separated pair of cells and capacity was only a few mah different, this happened a couple of time on different chargers so I would say they are not perfect but precise enough.

Glubux Wrote:
Sean Wrote:Your neatness is to be applauded.

Thank you.

I tested it indirectly by testing a freshly separated pair of cells and capacity was only a few mah different, this happened a couple of time on different chargers so I would say they are not perfect but precise enough.

Re: Glubux's Powerwall - miwall - 11-10-2016

Hi like you Idea of using copper wire for busbars what Size cable is this looks like it could be 1.5mm or 2.5mm cable striped from Twin and Earth cable used for house wiring ?
Also what with missing out Batteries in your pack!

Re: Glubux's Powerwall - Lux_Gamer - 11-10-2016

Hello,

I really like your pack design and your fuses.
One question is all that copper not a bit over kill.
Correct me if i am wrong but if it is 2,5mm cable it could handle 16-25 amps.
On the other hand i dont know how much you will pull form that pack.

Lux,

Re: Glubux's Powerwall - Glubux - 11-10-2016

The copper wire is a 1,5 mm², easy to find, I'm not sure it's overkill, I ll see when I'll put them to the test, anyway it is better to have too thick than too thin.

Re: Glubux's Powerwall - station240 - 11-10-2016

That size wire is probably about right, as you also have to consider resistance.
I worked out what the resistance of the longest length of wire there is.
0.0022789 Ohm => 2.2789mOhm
So the internal resistance of a cell is higher than the resistance of the wire.

Re: Glubux's Powerwall - PaulKennett - 11-13-2016

Very tidy pack there. And great colour spread too. Good job.